Being 32 means loving that you're a lot more like this than like this.
This Saturday, on September 28, I'll wake up and I will turn 32. I'm not doing a whole lot to celebrate my birthday, but a big rubber duck is floating its way on into Pittsburgh, so in some ways I kind of feel like the whole city is throwing me a birthday party.
When I was younger, 32 was always my age of destination. I have said, numerous times, to friends that by 32 I wanted to be in a career that I loved, in a relationship that was going somewhere, and well, be happy.
Year 31 was a blast. It might be on record as my best year yet, even though I will fully admit that there were moments of darkness. Not everything in my life is exactly how I would want it in my perfect dreamland. And things are certainly not arranged in a way that I envisioned when I was 22. But I think acceptance, grace, and humility come with the 30s package. So it's a little easier to stomach all that we don't have.
Last year, you may remember I recapped what I thought during year 30. And without further ado, here's what I thought about in year 31.
- I really wish Justin Timberlake would release a new album
- Holy Crap! Justin Timberlake is releasing a new album!
- Why is my cat obsessed with door frames
- How can I save money
- I wish I had a new computer
- Not a whole lot about men that don't matter
- Should I make out with him
- Why shouldn't I make out with him
- What is my next move going to be
- How do I get my hands on a 3D printer
- Holy Crap! The Pirates just might be good this year
- I miss friends that aren't in Pittsburgh
- Oh, people are now having their second baby
- Where can I get a fancy cocktail
- You can buy Costco brand alcohol and beer?!
- When am I going to meet a man who wants to commit
- You are not an expert
- Holy Crap! The Pirates are good this year
- How can I win at Fantasy Football
- What is, exactly, the best Fantasy Football team name
- Don't run
- This is it
- Assorted things about Justin Timberlake
- Assorted things about Jason Sudekis
- Assorted things about Adam Scott
- Assorted things about Jimmy Fallon
- How in the world am I going to read 52 books this year
- I am falling in love
- Oh baby
- Sharing a bed is preferred to sleeping alone
- I spend not enough time in my apartment
- Success! Baristas now my basic order
- I still hate my stomach
- I can't believe I'm going to my college reunion
- Am I doing downward facing dog properly?
- How does she bend that way
- I am in love
- Seattle/Vancouver/New York/North Carolina/Nashville/DC/NewYork
- I love Pittsburgh
- Dreaming of her was a most wonderful thing
- How we teach history in school
- Why do Canadians love Police Academy
- Should I order Chinese food
- When can I see him again
- I love you, I love you, I love you
I don't know what year 32 has in store for me. I'm sure some of it will be good, some of it will be not-so-good, and some of it will just be.
Am I ready for everything that might come way in the next 365 days? No, probably not. But I'm going to give it my best shot.