A moments when you've felt loved:
- When a card arrives in the honest-to-goodness mail from a friend you haven't talked to in a long time. Occasion doesn't matter: birthday, anniversary, heartbreak, sorrow, just because.
- When you're heading on a road trip, your hand tucked beneath his thigh, the road out ahead of you. A classic album blasting, the sunroof open, the sun shining.
- The first time their head meets your shoulder.
- When your Dad leaves you a voicemail in the middle of the day. To tell you to read something in the paper. An article, an op-ed, the crime blotter, a comic strip.
- When they cook for you. And don't even let you wash the dishes.
- When the animal you love snuggles right up to your side.
- With arms wrapped around you on a cold night, wind rattling the windows, and a blanket kicked off and barely covering the both of you.
- During the morning when you're best friend emails you about the state of their day and asks silly questions or tells you funny stories about their last 24 hours.
- When you overhear someone talking proudly about you.
- Right after a late night conversation on the phone. Completely in the dark, under blankets, half-asleep and half-drunk on love.
- When a grandparent refuses to let you leave their house without taking food or five dollars.
- When the snow is inches deep outside and you're inside, feet tucked under their butt, and both of you with books in hand.
- During a really good make-out session, hands going everywhere, with the person you can't wait to see after a long day.
- When they wait to watch that favorite television show, or movie, with you.
- On those rare days when you come home to a happy surprise a cupcake, a card, a drawing, just something special for you.
- That exact moment a song is playing, and they pause, take a deep breath and tell you that the song reminds them of you.
- When a friend drops everything to come over and listen to you cry.
- When your mom frets about all of the things you do that aren't part of your normal routine.
- When they squeeze your hand under a table during dinner.
- After hearing the simplest and most sincere comments: about your eyes, your smile, your feet, whatever it is they like.
- Forever after when shout compliments about things other than your body.
- When someone takes the time to tell you that they miss you.
- When people care about not just about you, but your family too.
- After an argument that may have lead to tears, but definitely led to kisses. And maybe a little bit more.
- Sometime between the first kiss and what you hope is never your last kiss.
- As your inbox is flooded with links and discussions concerning your favorite shows, actors, life crushes, or any and all inside jokes.
- When they make you tea in the morning.
- When they get up from bed to get you a glass of water.
- When your siblings actually want to hang out with you without your parents around.
- When they actually say, "I Love You."
- When not all hope is lost.
So dear readers, when have you felt love? Share a little of it in the comments. And Happy Valentine's Day to you. <3
Post a Comment