I officiated my friends' wedding on Saturday night. And the entire time I stood in front of their closest family and friends, I couldn't believe that they trusted me to be a part of their big day. I could write a long post about how you prepare for the day and the ins and outs of the rehearsal dinner or how beautiful it is to attend a wedding in a history museum. But really, what fun is that?
So, my wedding recap:
1. I like to think that my performing the ceremony for friends without being married myself actually gives me some good karma. But I wouldn't be honest with myself if I didn't admit that I'm a little scared I won't find someone who wants to stand in front of a crowd for me.
2. The best weddings I have ever been to were full of tiny personal touches. And have felt like big parties meant for happiness.
3. My last relationship ended, in part, because my ex didn't "believe" in marriage. I don't understand that. It's a commitment you make in front of people, there doesn't have to be any religion involved and just shows that you want to declare love. Marriage may not be for some people, but it does exist.
4. I will admit that I hope to get married one day. It may be the romantic that is locked inside me somewhere, but it's true. That said, I think it truly is about the right commitment with the right person. Who knows what can happen in the future...
5. It's a little overwhelming to help a couple you love and respect say their vows. When you look at your friends whose relationship is peaceful and equal. It can give a single girl like me hope that strong, independent-spirited women can find a partner who loves every bit of us.
So, what do you think about weddings and marriage? And know that if you ever need someone to marry you, I'd happily do it.
I think it's awesome that you were able to officiate, and I do hope that someday soon you find someone who not only believes in marriage as you do, but who embraces the idea of a strong, independent-spirited woman. I've been married to one for 20 years now, and would not trade a minute.ReplyDelete
This is just about the sweetest comment anyone has ever left me. I'm in favor of getting married, but not opposed to just being in a committed relationship. I just want to know that someone out there would stand in front of a crowd for me. I just don't think it's that hard of a thing to do. If you love someone, if you want to be with them...making a relationship last is work if you're married or not. So why not be brave and acknowledge it in front of others?ReplyDelete
*sigh* and if I'm single for the remainder of my years...let's just make sure they aren't lonely and filled with fun.
if i ever get remarried, i want you to officiate it.ReplyDelete
Oh Jane Doe,ReplyDelete
If you ever get remarried, I'll do it in an instant! You just keep me posted :)